Iron is essential to the formation and function of healthy red blood cells.* An adequate amount of dietary iron is required for blood cells to efficiently transport oxygen throughout the body. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), up to 16 percent of individuals in some populations is deficient in iron.
Individuals who can be prone to iron deficiency include:
- Women of menstruating age
- Individuals who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet
- Frequent blood donors
- Individuals who have undergone gastric bypass surgery
- Individuals who eat a very high fiber diet, which can inhibit iron absorption
- Individuals recovering from blood loss, such as injury or surgery
- Performance athletes who have any of the above additional risk factors
Signs of iron deficiency:
- Fatigue or weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Pale skin
- Cold hands and feet
- Feeling lightheaded or dizzy
- Changes in menstrual cycles
- Decreased athletic performance
Iron is difficult for the body to absorb, and supplementing with conventional forms of iron, including ferrous sulfate, can cause gastrointestinal side effects – such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, and dark-colored stools. Thorne's Iron Bisglycinate contains iron reacted with glycine to optimize its absorption in the gastrointestinal tract, thus minimizing the typical side effects of iron supplementation.*
Features of Thorne’s Iron Bisglycinate:
- Iron provided in a chelated form for optimal absorption
- Reduced GI side effects, such as nausea and constipation*
- Provides 25 mg of elemental iron per serving as Ferrochel® chelate
- NSF Certified for Sport®
Because an athlete needs to know that his or her supplements are trustworthy and compliant, every batch of an NSF Certified for Sport® product is tested for compliance with label claims and to ensure the absence of more than 200 substances banned by many major athletic organizations, including stimulants, narcotics, steroids, diuretics, beta-2 agonists, and masking agents.
Quality Above All
We commit to providing supplements with only the purest and most bioavailable ingredients, as well as thorough testing protocols to ensure quality.
Essential Nutrients for Optimal Wellness
We understand the importance of supplements in achieving health and wellness. We offer nutrition in a variety of forms, including capsules, liquids, and powders, to make it easy to incorporate into your daily routine.
Through personalized care and a wide range of products, we aim to empower our customers to live longer and healthier lives, and ensure wellness at every stage of life.